Finally, after many years of waiting, it seems like Rush Hour 4 may be made. Jackie Chan attended the Red Sea Film Festival, and an update on the highly anticipated sequel to the immensely successful franchise was reportedly announced by Chan during the event. The actor has disclosed that he met with the film’s director on Thursday night and is actively participating in the ongoing discussion about the next sequel. However, Chan remained silent when asked about whether or not Chris Tucker, his co-star, would be accompanying him.
I don’t need a Gen Z version Rush Hour 4. Give me that wild and cancellable 90s shit https://t.co/2xGGocXLHm
— Antisocial Extrovert (@haitianhinokami) December 8, 2022
Chan addressed the excited throng, “We’re talking about part 4.” Although Chan did not reveal the name of the filmmaker, that fact strongly suggests that it will not be Brett Ratner, who directed the two previous films in the franchise. In 2017, at the height of the MeToo movement, Warner Bros. severed ties with Ratner after the director was accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women. Since those occurrences, Ratner has been absent from the camera.
Ratner was present during the early stages of filming the Mili Vanilli biography, but he disappeared once shooting began. The actor also admitted that he was blindsided by Rush Hour’s success and intended to stay away from Hollywood after the release of the first film. A frustrated Chan revealed that he only accepted the character of Detective Ho in Rush Hour with some reluctance, explaining that he had been offered similar roles for East Asian detectives in America repeatedly.
The film’s popularity encouraged him to remain in the industry for a while, and he went on to star in several sequels and other films. In his defence, Chan stated, “My supervisor pointed out a script with the title Rush Hour and told I should read it. Hong Kong police, I told you no. It’s not something I intend to do. What about you, Jackie, give it one more shot, he suggested. This time, I said, it’s final.”
Fans of Chan’s say he doesn’t look at box office stats to determine success, but when Ratner and Tucker contacted to tell him Rush Hour made $70 million in its opening weekend, Chan knew he had a hit on his hands.
To paraphrase Chan: “For me, I don’t have a count of what 70 million is.” “There’s a lot about the box office that I don’t understand. From what I can tell, it was a smashing success. Then they created a sequel and a prequel.”
A release date for Rush Hour 4 has not been confirmed, although production is likely to begin
When Jackie Chan announced that a fourth ‘Rush Hour’ film was in the works, he thrilled his audience. During his presentation at this week’s Red Sea Film Festival in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the 68-year-old actor broke the news.
Mr. Chan told the festival crowd on Thursday, “We’re talking about Rush Hour 4 right now,” adding that he was going to meet with the film’s director to discuss the plot. According to Deadline, the legendary action hero did not name the filmmaker but did say that the film’s “script isn’t right” at the moment.
Brett Ratner’s original ‘Rush Hour’ movie came out in 1998. Chris Tucker also had a role in the movie. Mr. Chan played Hong Kong police officer Detective Inspector Lee, and Mr. Tucker played LAPD officer Detective James Carter.
Since Jackie Chan confirmed Rush Hour 4 bruh if it ain’t coming like this then they can keep it pic.twitter.com/EP13WaSc3A
— Shannonnn sharpes Burner (PARODY Account) (@shannonsharpeee) December 8, 2022
Mr. Chan, who was the keynote speaker, talked about the first time he said “yes” to a film in Hollywood. Complex reports that he has stated that he was taken aback by the economic and critical success of “Rush Hour,” despite the fact that the film is now widely regarded as a masterpiece. “Somebody called me up. From New York, I get a call from [Director] Brett Ratner and actor Chris Tucker. These people have lost their minds. Over the course of the first weekend, we made $70 million “As he thought back, he realised. And, “I don’t know how to count,” he said.
Mr. Chan went on to talk about how he got his start in the film industry working as a stuntman for Bruce Lee, who he claimed took a like to him while filming “Fist of Fury” and frequently cast him in overtime jobs so that he could pocket extra money from the production. The actor further shared with the crowd that he will be celebrating 60 years in the film industry in 2022.
Mr. Chan informed the festival audience that despite his lengthy and successful career in action movies, he focuses on filming “less action stories, more love stories” in the future. He is currently working on what he called a “drama film for women,” according to Deadline.